Thursday, September 25, 2008

HIGH HOLY KICKS!



Shana keeps reminding that the High Holidays are right around the corner. And she's right, so there oughta be a shoe that the observant Jew can rock to synagogue on Yom Kippur. Now for the uninformed (all two of you), it's forbidden to wear leather shoes on the fast day so people generally wear ugly-as-sin canvas shoes or flip-flops which is so Bad Form 101. This ain't no beach, son. Although, every once in awhile, you'll have one kid rocking the Vans checkered slip-ons, but aside from that brand, there aren't many flashy non-leather kicks making the rounds these days (and I'm not talking to you, vegan Alkaline Trio sneaks. You're not my kind.)

Therefore, I decided to adapt the all-white canvas Nike SB Mid and appropriate it as my Yom Kippur shoe. Why? Because it's the hottest set in fast day apparel. But lest you think I'm slacking on the Jews Do It front, I added my own lil' touch to the swoosh.
See that pattern in there. Yup, it's canvas too but it's a canvas recreation of a shofar inspired by the pic below.



The shofar is a ram's horn that we blow in synanogue to signify that the fast is over, so it felt appropriate to give the swoosh over to the Judaic instrument. It's sound is fierce and booming, and awe inspiring. Kinda like the shoe above. Dig?

No comments: